Enter the gates of timeless secrets!
Nádasdy – castle
The Nádasdy-castle in the town of Sárvár is one of the monuments which survived the turmoil of centuries unharmed. The shift between the Renaissance and Baroque took place during the one and a half century-long reign of one of the most influential families in Hungary, the Nádasdy-family. While there is a Renaissance row of arcades in the courtyard, the Knights’ Hall and the neighbouring salons show Baroque features. The Estei-family from Modena restored the castle in a classicistic way at the beginning of the 19th century. The last owners of the castle, the Bavarian Wittelsbach-family, spent their time until 1945 here.
The Ferenc Nádasdy museum has been open to visitors on an area of 1.300 m2 with temporary and permanent exhibitions for more than half a century.
The Knight’s Hall, built upon orders from Ferenc Nádasdy III., is the most beautiful hall of both the museum and the castle. The frescoes on the ceiling, painted 1653, depict battles of Ferenc Nádasdy II. the heroic “Black Bey”, against the Ottoman Empire in the period 1591-1602. Ádám Szily, the owner of the castle, made István Dorffmaister paint scenes from the Old Testimony in Baroque style in 1769 on the walls. The paintings show the story of David and Goliath, Samson and Delilah, or Judith and Holofernes. The gold and marble-covered cabinet with two side-wings from the 17th century was bought from the Ocskay-family.
Exhibition of Industrial Arts
The collection of pieces of industrial art is manifold. The equipment in the salons shows the art of furniture making of several centuries. The treasures, silver cutlery and painted china of the Wittelsbach-family once hidden in the castle are now popular sights. The exhibition showing crafted and painted glass objects features the finger bowl of the emperor Franz Joseph, the beer-glass of Czar Nicholas II., and the liqueur-glass designed by József Rippl-Rónai.
The collection is the only individual Husar-exhibition in Europe that can be visited. Those entering the exhibition can familiarise themselves with the origins and century-long history of the “most Hungarian” soldiers. The display cabinets show weapons, everyday objects, clothing, paintings and photographs from the 16th to the 20th century. The richest unit of objects spans the era from the Dual Ages to the Second World War. The sabre collection, donated by Lajos Sárvári, showing skilfully crafted weapons from the 17th and 20th centuries, can be seen here.
The cartography-history exhibition shows original maps from the 16th to the 18th century, depicting Hungary and its neighbouring states. Apart from the map of Pannonia of Ptolemy, the ancient cartographer, reprinted in the 1520ies, maps of famous Hungarian and European cartographers can be seen. It is worth observing how the development of cartography brought along more and more accurate directions, borderlines and topography depictions. Each and every map is a piece of art in itself.
in September - Juni Tuesdays - Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Cash desk closes at 04.30 p.m. in July and August Tuesday - Sunday: 9. a.m. to 9 p.m. Cash desk closes at 08.30 p.m. We stay closed on Monday! Address: H-9600 Sárvár, Várkerület 1. (Nádasdy-vár) Telephone: 0036 95/320-158 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.nadasdymuzeum.hu